Group Tax Manager
HQ – Manchester, M50 1RD
With a unique 50-year heritage of innovative recruitment Morson are a diverse group with an outstanding reputation for delivering consultancy, design, technology, training and people solutions around the world. With revenues of almost £1bn, and offices across the world, we place people into employment with some of the world’s biggest brands.
Even as a business of true scale, we keep it personal and consistently go the extra mile. As a family, we celebrate the good times together and we look after each other. We are technical innovators with people at our heart. We are ambitious for you and we care.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Group Tax Manager here at our HQ in Manchester. This person will manage Group compliance with UK and overseas taxes, monitoring associated risk and keeping the Directors appropriately appraised. This role supports the Morson Group and additional recruitment businesses associated with the Group.
This opportunity is ideally suitable for someone with a Recruitment/Managed Service/Shared Service environment who has insight into the challenges within this kind of environment.
The role would suit a Manager or Senior Manager wanting to move their tax career forward from Practice to Industry - advising domestic and international businesses, or equally someone working in Industry looking for a change.
UK tax governance
Consider at all times the Group’s position under HMRC’s business risk review regime – a key aim of this role is to maintain a low-risk rating with HMRC
Maintain a positive working relationship and act as key point of contact with Group HMRC CCM. Act as a point of contact between the Group and HMRC in resolving queries and assisting HMRC with inquiries as required
Review and manage the Group’s obligations under the CCO regime, ensuring compliance both with the UK and overseas requirements.
Actively maintain the Tax Risk Register.
Co-ordinate the SAO process, work with Group Finance & Compliance Directors to provide critical assurance to the SAO (CFO) and recommending actions as required.
Preparation and publication of online annual tax strategy document.
UK tax compliance
- Corporation tax
- Manage UK compliance process and tax accounting disclosures in conjunction with external advisors
- Prepare Group CIR calculations and review with external advisors
- Assist the Group FD with Group payment on account calculations
- Indirect tax – Work with Group finance teams to ensure timely and accurate completion/submission of all Group VAT returns. Review processes and returns (at appropriate intervals to provide assurance)
- Work with Group HR to prepare and review Group P11Ds
- Work with Group Finance teams to prepare/review Group PSAs, ensuring all available reliefs are utilised to optimise the tax position
- Support the Financial Operations Manager/ wider Group payroll managers/ HR with PAYE/ NI queries as required
- Ensure timely and accurate tax payments and filings
UK tax advisory
- Actively review the operations of the Group against available tax reliefs, continually working to optimise the Group’s tax position
- Manage the Group’s R&D claims process, ensuring accuracy of claims and sufficiency of supporting information
- Assist the Group with M&A and restructuring/ financing activity as required
- Keep the senior leadership team appraised of key tax developments, in particular through participation in regular legislation steering committee meetings
- Assist the Group in preparation for key legislative changes
- Overseas tax compliance
- Ensure timely submissions of overseas tax returns, working with overseas finance teams where required/available
- Act as a point of contact for the Group with overseas tax advisors, managing the Group relationship and ensuring kept up to date with relevant law changes
- Be key finance contact for setups and liquidations of overseas subsidiaries/ branches etc, liaising with in-country professional advisors and service providers to ensure full compliance with local taxes and regulations.
- Work with advisors to manage the Group’s withholding tax obligations
- Work with advisors to review/optimise the Group’s tax position with regards to funding, including UK and overseas thin capitalisation requirements
- Review the Group management charge calculation matrix and assist the finance team with calculations as required
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of the Group’s country by country report
- Maintain and manage Transfer Pricing documentation and compliance
- Assist the UK Compliance Director in ensuring employment tax compliance within the UK contractor base e.g., IR35, CIS, T&S, etc
- Support the UK Recruitment teams in overseas placements – driving compliance whilst remaining commercial in approach, dealing directly with clients and candidates if required
- Review and report on overseas placements – quarterly report to the Board and weekly/regular checks of new bookings. Agree changes if any engagements not considered compliant
- Manage the international PSL of overseas management companies, undertaking sample checking and ensuring compliance.
Ad hoc support as required by the Directors, within areas of expertise.
Experience and skills required:
- ACA, CA, CTA, ACCA or equivalent qualified with strong corporate tax and accounting knowledge
- Ability to develop, coach and lead staff, as well as manage stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills are required in addition to strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed analytical skills and a commercial approach to resolving issues and providing advice
- Ability to multi-task – to manage a wide range of projects and relationships
- High level of drive and enthusiasm with a positive attitude
- Ability and willingness to keep up to date and develop technical knowledge
- Inquisitive with attention to detail
- Practical approach to problem solving
- Willingness to adapt and be helpful to other areas of the business
- Strong technical skills
- Drive and curiosity are essential
Come from any background, industry or sector, if you have the right attitude, some great experience and a desire to be part of our award-winning team, we’d love to hear from you.
Commitment and hard work are rewarded with a competitive salary and generous quarterly bonus scheme, 26 days holiday (plus bank holidays), free onsite parking, an employee health and wellbeing programme, and other great benefits. Our company culture is second-to-none, with a real family ethos and focus on looking after the mind, body and soul of each of our colleagues.
Morson Talent is an equal opportunities employer and respects diversity. In order to apply for this role, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
The Morson Group is signed up to the Jobcentre employment service’s ‘Disability Confident Scheme’. This means that any applicant considering themselves to have a disability and who meet the esse
ntial criteria for the job (see person specification) will be guaranteed an interview.
We are actively seeking to increase the diversity of our workforce to reflect the local community.
Due to the number of applications we receive, it’s not always possible to contact unsuccessful applicants. Unless you hear from us within 14 days of your application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.